Vegan Challenge: Yeast and other fun things to eat

Hello :)


I decided today would be a good day to write a bit more about how we're doing with our vegan challenge, it's the fifth day for me and 24th already for Kai, she's doing very well. 

As most people know the main vitamin that vegans lack of is vitamin B12 and since my goal is to be as healthy as possible, then I've been looking for a way to still get as muh of it from fortified foods as possible to fulfil my need for it. 

On my search for B12 I stumbled upon nutritional yeast, which sounds sort of iffy, but I've heard good things about it, so I decided to give it a try. It looks sort of like breadcrumbs, not too much like the yeast people use in baking and essentially you can use it to flavour any food, as you would use spices or seasoning for example.

I have used it to make creamy and cheesy vegan pasta. I also used an oat based cooking cream for that and I personally think it tasted very good.

Aside from having B12 in it, it's actually rich in all B group vitamins and Zinc, so I have found it a great addition to my diet. Only one tablespoon or around 5 grams of nutritional yeast already covers the daily minimum needs for B group vitamins and Zinc, so I think that it's definitley a good investment. It tastes slightly like cheese to me, maybe a bit like nuts as well, it's definitely a bit salty, it has enough flavour so that I don't feel the need to add any more salt to my dishes.

Today we also made an incredible vegan cake, which we'll have a recipe on up soon, it was a cookie-blueberry-banana cake and it was very good. We already ate all of it.



All in all we're still feeling fine, not particulalrly different than we usually do, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything and it has been surprisingly easy, we'll see how we feel in the future.

Kaiela :)

Kommentaarid

Populaarsed postitused