Struggles of a Short Girl

Hello :)

Today I have a slightly different blog post, although, let's face it almost all of our posts are different from one another. 



Anyway, I am a fairly short person, 157,3 cm to be precice and I've noticed that being short has it's perks and also it's struggles, I thought I could write about them, so other shorties could relate. These probably also go for all short people of different genders, but since I'm a girl, then these are the ones I can vouch for.

There are some fairly little struggles like not reaching the top shelves at shops, not seeing over people's heads at the cinema, theatre or concerts, being forced to sit in the middle seat of the backseats in cars and just generally having the entire world a little too high for you to feel comfortable. These things although sometimes annoying, don't really bother me that much.

There is however one thing that I have noticed just lately and it may be a bit of a me thing more than just a short person thing, but sometimes I feel like tall people don't take me seriously. Recently I've met more and more people who look at me as if I was a baby. Like I was a tiny little fluffy kitten and I love kittens, so I don't mind that, but when I try to be professional or adult-like, then I just get the feeling like they're not even listening to a word I'm saying. Tall people are scary as it is, so I feel quite uncomfortable if they make me feel even smaller than I am. I imagine someone more confident wouldn't be bothered by that at all, but I'm not there yet.



I guess a lot of short people can relate being thought that you are younger than you really are, I don't mind that, it can be very useful at times, but when you're 21 and someone thinks your 12, not saying that that has happened to me (yes it has), then it can be a little awkward. For some reason people assume that when you look about 12, then you also have the mental age of someone who is 12. I can assure you I have the menatl age of a granny, I like knitting, reading, crosswords, tea parties and napping...I mean I guess that could also be said by a 12 year old, so...nevermind.

Another thing that some short people might count disrespectful, is when a non-short person claims that they are short, if you are average or above, then you don't know our struggles, so just be happy that you are perfectly average.

Perfectly average people don't have to shop in the children's section and have a higher chance of finding jeans that fit, so congrats. I definitely sometimes struggle since clothing doesn't fit me quite right...and my tiny feet are always too small for those one size fits all socks, it's a sad life.

Talking of small feet and hands, finding gloves and shoes that fit me, is a bit of a struggle as well. Ideally I would wear 35,5 size shoes, with heels 35 fits better in other types of footwear 36 is usualy fine, 35 is a very difficult size to find, 36 however is actually a great foot size to have, so I recommend it.

With gloves, I have the issue of having a very small pinky, even if all of the other fingers fit, then the pinky has at least 1 cm of free space, on the positive side I like to knit, so I can always make my own gloves.



These were some of the struggles I could think of, but I'm sure some short people can add to this list, so feel free to do so in the comment section below and let's share thoughts.

Kaiela :)



Kommentaarid

  1. I laughed a bit too much at the part where you said you have the mental age of a granny :D Other than that I felt as if I had written it myself. Looking forward to reading about the perks of being a tall minion :D

    VastaKustuta
    Vastused
    1. I'm glad you could relate, you'll soon hear about all of the perks as well, I already have that post planned. Thanks for the comment. :)

      Kustuta

Postita kommentaar

Populaarsed postitused