Lets talk about vegan chocolate: devilishly good snacks or not?

Vegan Chocolate


One thing about veganism that scared me the most was that I won't be able to eat chocolate. That seemed like the most terrfying thing in the entire world to me, because what is existance if it does not include chocolate?

So naturally when I saw that vegan chocolate does indeed exsist, I was not just curious, but felt obligated to try them out.

Vegan chocolates are definitely more expensive than regular choclates, they're also harder to find., At first instinct you could think that dark chocolate is vegan, but it does in fact contain milk and might contain egg, all depending on the chocolate, of course.

So we went to a local Biomarket and bought different kinds of vegan chocolate. I got a variety of little (35 g) chocolates, such as Dark nougat, Black cherry, Almond and Orange and White nougat crisp. My roommate got in addition to those mentioned also bigger chocolates (100 g), one of them was Choco cookie flavoured and the other one a dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

And now we get to the interesting part...how did they taste?
What can I say, nothing truly compares to the soft texture and rich taste of a perfectly made milk chocolate, but if you for some reason choose not to or can't eat milk chocolate, then vegan chocolate will do. Personally I found that the vegan dark chocolate was better than the so called milk chocolate variations, most of which were made of rice milk.



The main thing that bothered me was that the chocolate simply did not melt, the texture was sort of hard and taste too weak, but nevertheless it was good, just not chocolate kind of good.

The bigger chocolates were slightly better than the small ones, in my personal opinion, the small ones were from the brand Vivani, Choco cookie flavoured choclate was from the brand ichoc and the dark chocolate with hazelnuts from the brand Diablo.

The last one was my favourite, it was a very good dark chocolate, not too bitter and had a nice crisp to it, when I bit into it. My roommate agreed as well, it was also the cheapest out of the ones we bought. It would probably be the only one that we'd buy again.


However, I would be very interested to try some more vegan chocolates. Our local Biomarket had a decent amount of chocolates to choose from, but as I mentioned they were all twice or three times as expensive as regular chocolate, so as a university student it's definitely not as easy to fit it into my budget. But if i ever get to try some more, then I'll give my full review.

Have a chocolate-filled weekend,
Kaiela :)



Kommentaarid

Populaarsed postitused